Do you love your community and want to help keep it healthy and thriving? Do you have ideas on how public funding could be used to better serve Columbia County residents?
If so, Columbia SWCD’s Board of Directors could be the place for you to share your thoughts and expertise!
On November 8, 2022, Columbia County will hold a general election that includes Board of Director positions for Columbia Soil and Water Conservation District.
Four director positions will be open for election in November 2022, with terms beginning January 1, 2023:
- Zone 1
- Zone 3
- Zone 5
- At-Large 2
District directors are elected on Oregon’s general election ballot and serve terms of four years without pay. Directors are members of business, professional and agricultural communities who understand the ecological relationships of soil, water, plant, and animals.
Candidates for the position of SWCD director must meet certain eligibility requirements as outlined in Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 568.560.
Directors must reside within the district boundaries and be registered voters.
Directors have two options for eligibility:
A zone director:
- Must own or manage 10 or more acres of land in the district.
- Must be involved in the active management of the property.
- Must reside within the boundaries of the district.
- Directors may either reside within the zone that is represented or own or manage ten (10) or more acres within the zone that is represented, and must be involved in the active management of the property.
- Must be a registered voter.
An individual may also serve as a zone director when the individual, in lieu of the other requirements in Option 1:
- Resides within the zone that is represented.
- Has served at least one year as a director or associate director of a district.
- Has a conservation plan that is approved by the district.
- Is a registered voter.
You can also download the following PDF for more information:CSWCD+Board+of+Directors+Candidate+Rules.pdf