The Columbia Soil and Water Conservation District (CSWCD) provides various services aimed at promoting the sustainable use and management of soil, water, and natural resources within Columbia County.
Common services offered include:
- Water Conservation and Management: We aim to promote efficient irrigation techniques, manage water runoff, and implement water management strategies to ensure the sustainable use of water resources.
- Erosion Control and Sedimentation Management: We can provide technical assistance to assist in erosion control efforts and prevention methods as well as also address sedimentation issues in rivers, lakes, and other water bodies through sediment control measures.
- Watershed Management: We assist in developing and implementing watershed management plans, which involve monitoring water quality, restoring riparian areas, and promoting sustainable land use practices within the watershed.
- Conservation Education and Outreach: We are always looking for new ways to educate the public about soil and water conservation practices. We currently work with local teachers to bring environmental lesson plans into the classroom and often host training sessions or workshops at local schools, committees, or public groups. Contact us for more information.
- Conservation Cost-Share Programs: Sometimes cost-share programs are available, which provide financial assistance to landowners and farmers for implementing conservation practices. These programs may cover expenses related to erosion control, reforestation, wetland restoration, and other conservation efforts.
- Technical Assistance: We offer technical assistance and guidance to landowners, farmers, and other stakeholders regarding soil health, erosion control, water management, and conservation practices. We often times conduct site visits to offer advice on land management strategies, and recommend appropriate conservation practices.