SUBJECT: NW-1 to raise to IFPL 2
NW-2 & NW-3 to raise to IFPL 3
TO: Media, Cooperators and Industry
FROM: Oregon Department of Forestry
DATE: July 28, 2015
Effective: 1:00 a.m., PDT, July 30, 2015
Industrial Fire Precaution Level Zone NW-1 will go to Level 2 and Zone NW-2 & NW-3 will go to Level 3 effective 01:00 am on Thursday, July 30, 2015. This includes all lands protected by the Northwest Oregon Forest Protection District (Astoria District, Forest Grove District and Tillamook District) and all forestland within one-eighth mile thereof.
Level II: Partial Hootowl
The following may operate only between the hours of 8:00 pm and 1:00 pm
- power saws except at loading sites;
- cable yarding
- welding or cutting of metal
Level III: Partial Shutdown
The following are prohibited except as indicated:
- cable yarding – except that gravity operated logging systems employing non-motorized carriages may operate between 8 P.M. and 1 P.M. when all blocks and moving lines are suspended 10 feet above the ground except the line between the carriage and the chokers.
- power saws – except power saws may be used at loading sites and on tractor/skidder operations between the hours of 8 P.M. and 1 P.M.
In addition, the following are permitted to operate between the hours of 8 P.M. and 1 P.M.:
- tractor/skidder, feller-buncher, forwarder, or shovel logging operations where tractors, skidders or other equipment with a blade capable of constructing fireline are immediately available to quickly reach and effectively attack a fire start;
- mechanized loading or hauling of any product or material;
- welding or cutting of metal;
- any other spark emitting operation not specifically mentioned.
Fire watch waiver is still in effect:
IFPL 1 = 1 hour
IFPL 2 = 2 hours
IFPL 3 = 3 hours
IFPL 4 = Shutdown
With NW-2 & NW-3 at IFPL 3, the Non-Industrial Chainsaw waiver and the OHV waiver are not applicable. The OHV trails in the Browns Camp, Jordan Creek, Diamond Mill, and Trask and the trails in the BLM Nestucca Riding Area are CLOSED and will remain closed until further notice. Only the improved, maintained gravel roads in the Browns Camp, Jordan Creek, Diamond Mill, Trask and all other areas of the forest remain open for OHV use.
More information can be found at: